Thursday, December 31, 2009

My Resolution Is To Be Happy - How Hard Can That Be?


What is life for? It is for you. - Abraham Maslow

Each New Year resolutions are made. Each February resolutions are broken. I am as guilty of this pattern as anyone.

I can't imagine a more difficult year than 2009, so 2010 brings hope and optimism. But I for one, am not making a resolution for 2010. Instead, I am strategizing....what is it that I want and how do I achieve it? I'm turning to Dr. Seuss for inspiration;

You have a brain in your head, and feet in your shoes

You can steer yourself, any direction you choose

You're on your own and you know what you know

And you are the one, who'll decide where to go


I have a book that inspired me for this blog. It's called "Where Will You Be Five Years From Today?" by Dan Zadra. This book has reinforced for me the personal decisions I have made during 2009...and inspired me to stay on track. My five year goals reflect my personal values. MY personal values. Not my employer, my community or even my family. Although all of my values are in line with these groups and people - if they weren't I wouldn't be very happy would I?

My mission in life is to be happy.

What is your mission? Choose a personal mission rather than making a resolution and work toward that in a realistic way all year long and not just in January. Being happy is what it is about...what makes me happy is my family first, my friends second, my community third. My job is not even in the top three is it? But the way it should work is, that if I am happy and accomplishing my personal mission and goals, then my job will be fulfilling as well.

I don't have this down pat yet. But I am working on it. And I expect it to continue to be a work in progress.

If success is not on your terms- if it looks good to the world but does not feel good in your heart-it is no success at all. - Anna Quindlen

In January I turn 50. This monumental event may be partially responsible for my philosophical thinking....but I know from years of trial and error, that there is nothing more important in life than happiness. I encourage you to evaluate your life and ask yourself "Am I happy?" Give yourself permission to be happy.

Most people don't aim too high and miss. They aim too low and hit. - Bob Moawad

Join me in aiming high Gig Harbor. And smile while you are doing it.

Happy New Year.

1 comment:

  1. Great quotes and an excellent reminder what life is "for." I like the idea of writing a mission statement for your life instead of resolutions. I first read about personal mission statements in my old Franklin-Covey planner. Maybe it's time to pull out that old planner and go for it.

    ReplyDelete