Saturday, October 24, 2009

The Great Pumpkin: Myth or Magic?


More than four generations of American kids have grown up with "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown", the Emmy nominated animated special which first aired in 1966.


I have very vivid memories of watching it annually, as a child, a teenager and again with my children. Of course my experience with this and other classics like "A Charlie Brown Christmas" or the annual T.V. airing of "The Wizard of Oz" (oh those monkeys!), was at a time when there were four television channels. An event like "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" was highly anticipated and special, given you had one chance to see it...no video or dvd either.


Today kids are so bombarded with media in so many shapes and forms, that if desired, "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" is available at a moments notice 365 days a year. It certainly takes all the mystique out of it. Technology is what it is and there is no going back. As a result, I see many young parents looking for other ways to make fall traditions (like the Great Pumpkin) part of their family experience.


In Gig Harbor, there are TWO Great Pumpkins for families to enjoy this Halloween week. When you see either of these giant squash you will BELIEVE.


First, the Gig Harbor Historic Waterfront Association as a 500 pound pumpkin available for photo opportunities for FREE. The pumpkin is located all this week at the Harbor History Museum. Drop down between rain drops and get a photo of your kids, your pet or yourself with this monster.


Second , Uptown has a 1000 pound pumpkin that will be displayed on Halloween under the pavilion. This gigantic gourd will be carved at 10am on Halloween morning by renowned pumpkin carver Russ Leno. That will be a site to see...come and check it out!


So despite what Linus' advice was , "I've learned there are three things you don't discuss with people: religion, politics and The Great Pumpkin", I'm going out on a limb here and telling you, Gig Harbor is the home of the Great Pumpkin. Be a believer and enjoy it with your family.


And by the way, ABC will air "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" on Wednesday October 28th at 8pm. Watch it with your kids.

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm an administrator for the Kitsap Sun's Newsgarden, an online community where people can share news and photos from their neighborhood. I like your post, so I shared it on Newsgarden ( http://www.kitsapsun.serramedia.com/content/gig-harbor-guide-great-pumpkin-myth-or-magic
    ). I haven't published the photo, but I'd like to know if you allow me to add it too. Please let me know if you object and I'll take it down. Send an e-mail to melissabeckerbr@gmail.com and feel free to add contributions on Newsgarden. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! I still watch it every year and enjoy it every time. I almost want to say it's my favorite of all the Charlie Brown specials I think because of the scene with Snoopy flying on his doghouse fighting the Red Barron. I also adore the "flute" solo music in the background when Snoopy is playing with a leaf. Love your blog...post more photos of the area please....:)

    ReplyDelete