Friday, September 18, 2009

GET READY FOR THE CHUM!


Those of you who know me know that I cut my teeth as both an event planner and marketing director as the Executive Director of the Issaquah Salmon Days Festival back in the early '90's. That event still holds a special place in my heart, and in its 40th year it is one of the largest and best organized festivals in the state.


So, three years ago when local fisherman Paul Ancich proposed to me an event for Gig Harbor called Donkey Creek Chum Festival, I felt right in my comfort zone. And it made perfect sense for a community like Gig Harbor to acknowledge and celebrate our local chum that run up Donkey Creek, and the local fisherman's club that has kept that creek alive for returning salmon since 1972.


That first year I proposed to Paul that the fisherman work hand in hand with local environmental group - not always a partnership you expect. But I was convinced that the two groups have the same goal; healthy fish in a healthy Puget Sound. And thus was born a great event in our community that celebrates the fact that "It Takes a Fish to Raise a Village", the slogan for the Donkey Creek Chum Festival. Now about a dozen local groups and organizations work through out the year to make this event a success for all.


Don't miss this great, free event on Saturday October 10th from 10am-5pm. This year, located at the parking lot of the new Harbor History Museum, the event includes Kayak races, lots of interesting and educational booths, kids activities and Chum Burgers cooked by the Gig Harbor Commercial Fisherman's Club.


Learn and love your community at the Donkey Creek Chum Festival! http://www.gigharborguide.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment